Tuesday, March 31, 2009

New Faraway Places Due May 12

MP3 - "The Sun Goes Down" - Faraway Places
I grew up with vinyl. School breaks were spent in record shops. My musical education consisted primarily of works from 1955-1972. Which is why, no matter how indie I get, my heart still lies with the classics. When I hear new bands that sounds as though their musical upbringing was similar to mine, I get pretty excited. Such is the case with Faraway Places. "The Sun Goes Down" - the first single from Out of the Rain, the Thunder and the Lightning (due May 12) - is a jolt of power pop goodness, with head-bobbing seventies guitar riffs and feel-good male/female harmonies. The Echo Park band - lead by keyboardist/singer/chef Donna Coppola and writer/producer/Renaissance man Chris Colthart - have been absent since their 2003 Eenie Meenie debut, Unfocus On It, but "The Sun Goes Down" quickly asserts their presence once again.

Out of the Rain comes out on Save It Records, and you can stream the whole thing at Faraway Places' jukebox. The band has a pair of shows scheduled at the moment:

-May 02 Pioneertown, CA Pappy & Harriet's
-May 11 Los Angeles, CA The Echo

No comments: