Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Silian Rail: My New Local Favorite

San Francisco's Silian Rail are my current favorite local band since I caught their set last Friday. In my review I wrote:
Silian Rail did something I don’t think I’d ever seen before - instrumental indie pop. Guitarist Robin Landy and drummer Eric Kuhn did create an atmosphere, but proved that does not have to be the sole function of an instrumental act. In fact, the duo may have had the strongest pop sensibility of all the bands on this bill. Robin’s guitar playing is so pretty and Eric’s drums so driving that it feels as though lyrics and vocals would actually betray the experience that is being created in these songs. With just guitar and drums, Silian Rail create something very special - instrumental music that is engaging and melodic without being avant garde or chaotic.
You can read the rest of my review at The Bay Bridged.

1 comment:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Nice! I don't think I've ever seen instrumental indie pop done with just a duo before. That would be hard to pull off.