Thursday, May 22, 2008

Meditation

Ideas are like fish.

If you want to catch little fish, you can stay in the shallow water. But if you want to catch the big fish, you’ve got to go deeper.

-David Lynch
About two weeks ago, I started meditating. I've been interested in meditation for probably six years, but seemed to lack the mental focus to keep it up every time I tried to start. Something is different now, though, as I have been able to keep it up for two weeks. In fact, a lot has been different these past two weeks - I get up early (the alarm goes off at 5:30), I actually eat breakfast, I exercise regularly, I rarely have caffeine. I would say that I have made a good deal of changes in my life that add up to something bigger. I think there will make me a better person, not to mention a more focused label manager.

My whole life focus has been an issue. If it were a film I was editing or a music-related project, I was able to devote my full attention. The rest of the time, my brain was going every which way, leaving me in a constant state of restlessness. For the longest time, I had accepted that that was simply who I was. But much like I realized a couple of years ago that I could be happy, I've come to the realization that I do not have to be restless. I can have a sound mind, and actually be more like myself - or more the person I want to be.

I reserve my nights for inspiring reading. I have a meditation book that has been with me for the past six years. I never dove in completely, but it has always stuck with me. The book is simply titled Meditation and was written by Eknath Easwaran. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in meditation. I have also been reading David Lynch's Catching the Big Fish: Meditation, Consciousness, and Creativity. Lynch asserts that through meditation, you will find happiness, find yourself, and find your creativity. He rejects the notion that one would need to be unhappy in order to tap into their creativity. I used to disagree, but since I started implementing these lifestyle changes, I've noticed creative wheels turning that haven't spun for years.

Perhaps I will be sticking with the program this time.

Video - David Lynch on Meditation

1 comment:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I'm always impressed when people take actual realistic steps to improve something that they see as less than ideal (even if that means getting up at 5:30). Good for you for this effort, it sounds like you may have just found the right approach.