Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Jukebox: The Flying Tourbillon Orchestra

Jukebox is a feature where we ask our favorite artists, bloggers and DJs their opinions on four songs that are currently generating buzz. Then we ask them for songs that we should be buzzing about. This week, we put quarters in the record machine with L. Hunter Curra, of The Flying Tourbillon Orchestra...

Iron and Wine - "The Trapeze Swinger" (mp3)
Most of the I&W I'm used to is much more LOFI that this it's nice to hear his voice shine through sensitively produced. I'd listen to stuff like this on a Weekend afternoon, or as background music for intimate moments. It's a long repetitive song, but that doesn't bug me because of how I use this kind of music doesn't involve me sitting and paying intense attention to it. Nice melody. He definitely has a lot to say, I'm like a three verses at maximum type of guy haha.

Jarvis Cocker - "Angela" (mp3)
The time signature makes this one hard for me to sink my teeth into. Definitely feels written around the main riff, which I kinda like. But it makes me wish for more complex melody for me to hum later.

Sunset Rubdown - "Idiot Heart" (mp3)
The back and forth guitar interplay and drum pattern rock this one for me. I like the production too. Kinda sloppy but in a good way. Vocals have a sorta British yelpy quality mixed with a joy division delivery. There are some strong melody bits on builds and changes, but it is clear these dudes like the emphasis on the instruments and arrangement. The voices feel like decorations.

Papercuts - "You Can Have What You Want" (mp3)
I like the arrangement and production here. Soothingly somber. I think it might twist my fancy a little more if there were a few more dynamics. That synthe pad sounds sweet but it raises the volume floor of the track and doesn't leave much room... but maybe that is the idea here. I'd also add this to my Weekend afternoon play list.

Hunter's Picks...
I'm a little behind... I listen to local LA stuff and classic music mostly.
Camera Obscura - "French Navy" (MySpace)
Obi Best - "What it's Not" (MySpace)
Divisadero - "Understand We Have No Understanding" (MySpace)
Marvelous Toy - "Waiting for the Fire" (MySpace)

The Flying Tourbillon Orchestra are an LA-based band who performed at our first LA[Heart]SF band in San Francisco.

No comments: