Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Jukebox: Shiloe

Jukebox is a feature where we ask our favorite artists, bloggers and DJs their opinions on four songs that are currently generating buzz. Then we ask them for four songs that we should be buzzing about. This week, we put quarters in the record machine with Melissa and Ken of Shiloe...

"First Time High" - Of Montreal
Melissa: Oh, this is not my jam. Way too poppy and twee. Probably not surprising, given the type of music Ken and I produce, but this kind of sweet, sunny love song does not appeal to my darker sensibilities in the least! My least favorite of the bunch.
Ken: Not really my cup of tea either. I hate to give my opinion on this type of music because it's just never been my style

"People Got a Lotta Nerve" - Neko Case
Melissa: I love Neko Case, so I've been obsessing about this song for weeks already. It's SO GOOD. Neko has the most amazing voice. It's so clear and warm and strong. The chorus is catchy and funny. At first, I thought it was a little silly, but it's really grown on me. This song is a grower, not a shower. I can't wait for Middle Cyclone! March 3rd, people!!!
Ken: Melissa played this song for me a bit ago and I wasn’t really feeling it for some reason, but after a few listens it’s really grown on me. I've loved Neko Case's voice since the first time I heard it.

"Come Saturday" - The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
Melissa: Now this is the kind of fun pop song I can get behind. I love how the frantic, Buzzcocks-esque instrumentation combines with the sweet vocals. The "ooh"s sound a bit plaintive to me, which I dig, and the bass line is pretty rad. This is my second favorite song in the bunch, after Neko Case. I've actually never heard of this band before in my life. If someone threw it on a mixtape for me, I would be stoked. Did I just date myself by referring to a mixtape?
Ken: My friend Kristian would love these guys, I’ll have to send him their way. I like this, it’s relaxing yet energized. It makes me think of driving around with friends on a weekend afternoon hitting up music stores and fun places like Dark Delicacies.

"I Want Some More" - Dan Auerbach
Melissa: I saw the Black Keys open for Sleater-Kinney once, and I wasn't terribly impressed at the time, but this is actually really good. A little repetitive, but repetitive in a cool, bluesy way. I dig it. If I heard this on the radio, I would be sufficiently intrigued not to change the station until after I found out who it was.
Ken: I like the vibe of this song a lot, it really sets a mood. There’s a great psychedellic scene going on in L.A. right now with a bunch of great bands, so I’ve been getting into this kind of thing more lately.

Shiloe's picks...
"Chick Habit" - Forks and Knives (MySpace)
"Tell Me Again" - Kissing Cousins (MySpace)
"Sitting On a Leaf" - Family Tree Analog (MySpace)
"Ride This Wave of Good Feelings" - Summer Darling (MySpace)

No comments: