Monday, June 2, 2008

A New 7" For Me

Dale Cooper (portrayed by Kyle McLachlan) on Twin Peaks once said something very wise:
Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.
I've tried to adopt this same philosophy in my own life, and when I saw the Frog Eyes/Hello Blue Roses split 7" - I knew I had to buy myself a present. It was a good selection, too, and one I feel I especially deserved given the emotional highs and lows of the past week.

Frog Eyes contributes two tracks to the A-side, and for those of you who may be unfamiliar - Frog Eyes is the brainchild Carey Mercer who also plays in supergroup Swan Lake with Destroyer's Dan Bejar and Sunset Rubdown's Specer Krug. The two tracks he contributes are re-imaginings of songs from his fabulous 2007 record, Tears of the Valedictorian.

Hello Blue Roses is visual artist Sydney Vermont and her boyfriend (the aforementioned Bejar), and they serve up two covers. Vermont takes the lead on a gorgeous rendition of "Foam Hands," which originally could be found on Destroyer's Trouble in Dreams. The two then duet on version of Richard and Linda Thompson's "Wall of Death" that is equally fabulous.

This 7" is limited to 500 copies and you can purchase it from Absolutely Kosher.
MP3 - "Idle Songs" - Frog Eyes
[From Tears of the Valedictorian]

1 comment:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I like that philosophy and plan to adopt it immediately. Perhaps even retroactively.