Monday, December 17, 2007

The Should Be Top 40 of 2007 (Part Four)

Will's Top 40 Songs of 2007
Part Four: 15-11


15. "The Con" - Tegan and Sara

I first heard this track in a movie theater and I wasn't even sure that I liked it. Upon a second listen, though, I completely recognized its brilliance. Rather than simply phone it in with the same luscious pop harmonies the duo dropped last time around, they supplement those with a more epic electric guitar. This song is at times indie pop and at times almost metal. Regardless, it's still a brilliant chorus.

14. "Unless It's Kicks" - Okkervil River

Remember what I said about the few groups keeping indie rock interesting. Well, I was referring to the National, but I frankly may even be bored with them if not for Okkervil River. I 100% have my brother to thank for turning me on to this band, but I still cannot remember how to spell this band's name. Will Sheff has one of those voices that dangerously sounds like it might run off key, but he always manages to pull it back in, keeping a high level of earnest emotion intact.

13. "C.O.L.O.U.R.S." - Fonzworth Bentley featuring Pimp C and Lil Wayne
How long must I wait for the release of Fonzworth Bentley's debut album? For the time being, I must live with brilliant tracks leaked on Kanye West mixtapes. Last year, it was "Laid Back," and frankly I did not think anything could top that. Then along comes "C.O.L.O.U.R.S." with its slick, dinner party beat and infectious chours of "C-O-L-O-U-R-S/ what's the spell/ CoolOutrageousLoversOfUniquelyRawStyle." Bentley raps like no one else - you will hear elements of Kanye and Andre 3000. But you'll also hear a PBS narrator - or maybe Tim Gunn. Lil Wayne drops by on the third verse to kill it once again - "When you're not good/ then your arrogance is funny/
and when you're really rich/ then asparagus is yummy."

12. "Black Magic" - Jarvis Cocker

A pure British rock anthem - Cocker barrows generously from "Crimson and Clover" but puts his own inspiring twist on the whole thing. It's hard to not feel like you can take on the world after listening to this several times in a row - which is what I've been doing since the album dropped back in April.

11. "Bunny Ain't No Kind of Rider" - Of Montreal

"Bunny" was the first track I heard from Kevin Barnes latest Of Montreal opus, and I fell completely head over heels in love with it. It embodies all the qualities that make Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer one of the year's best record - from its schizophrenic leaps from intro to verse to chorus, to the sylish way it appropriates Bowie, the Beatles, and underground sixties music. Top that off with it self-aware too-cool-for-school lyrics and you have the hip kids all confused. Pure genuis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are some brilliant tracks on this section of your list. Thumbs up for Tegan and Sara and Jarvis!