Thursday, March 1, 2007

Interesting Night of Networking and Burlesque

Even though I've lived in San Francisco for a couple of years now, I'd yet to experience the week-long music event that is Noise Pop. In addition to headlining shows from the Dandy Warhols, Sebadoh, Ted Leo and countless others, there are a number of free events - and here at N&UR, we really hate to pass up anything free. Sadly, I missed Noise Pop's opening night party at the Mezzanine (pictured to the left) with Tapes 'N Tapes, Har Mar Superstar and David Cross, but you can read all about it at the Bay Bridged. After work yesterday, I did head to the outer, outer Mission for the first of many Noise Pop Happy Hours at Thee Parkside. Gathered was a rather "who's who" of the local music scene, with managers, label heads, band members, podcasters and bloggers all squeezing their way over to the bar. I can only imagine what lies in store tonight when Loquat and the Dodos hit Thee Parkside.

Afterwards, Ben Mirov and I headed over to Annie's Social Club for The Cock-T's first annual Cox Remedial High Talent Show. This was a non-Noise Pop event, so I felt a little guilty for cheating on the music festival I was just getting to know ... but what can you do? I didn't quite know what we were in for - but I would soon learn the the Cock T's are San Francisco's "#1 Burlesque Cheerleading Squad."

I had come to see singer/songwriter Katie Gorman who took the stage around 10:30, under the name Cat Benatar. With her face done up like a cat and a dress straight out of a Pat Benatar video, we could tell we were in for something fun. Her acoustic take on Benatar hits, mixed with jokes about talking in her native "cat," and references to Cat Stevens, she was easily the highlight of the night. I first came in contact with Gorman's work about a week ago, after following a link on Boy Least Likely To's MySpace page. Gorman's put together a little project call the Girl Most Likely To featuring stellar covers of the band's tunes as well as re-done artwork in the fabulous BLLT style. She's also got a band called The Specs in addition to fun cover projects. Certainly someone to check out in the Bay Area scene, and hopefully an artist we'll be featuring more of.

Look out for more Noise Pop fun when I check in tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you love following the links on myspace and ending up with something good? I shall have to check out those bands later, thanks!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like it was a riot! You have to love a performer who injects considerable humour into her performance.