Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Joss Whedon Off Wonder Woman, Will Have More Time For Buffy Season 8 Comic

Buffy mastermind Joss Whedon will no longer be writing and directing the forthcoming Wonder Woman film. "Let me stress that everybody at the studio and Silver Pictures were cool and professional," Whedon wrote on his website. "We just saw different movies, and at the price range this kind of movie hangs in, that's never gonna work. Non-sympatico. It happens all the time." MTV News has the whole situation covered.

I can't say I have much faith in this film now that Whedon is off the project. This seems like a sign to me that he should stick only to Buffy-verse related projects ... like the Buffy Season 8 comic due in March. My expectations are very high. "The show was very mundane, deliberately mundane," Whedon says. "A comic has got to work on a grander, epic scale. We can really take the characters wherever we want, and of course, that means I can kill them. That's where the fun is, in revisiting these characters. It's like being with my old friends, but in actuality, not being with my old friends, because the actors aren't there to play them. It's a little different. This is bigger variations. It's a symphony based on the little tune we played." Whedon reveals more about the comic at MTV News. Also check out some more panels...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was kind of bummed to hear that Joss was off the film, but if that leaves more time for the Buffy cominc, I'm all for that!

Anonymous said...

Awwww BOOOOO. I was looking forward to this film.

Anonymous said...

Too bad, it would be great to see camp tv favorite Wonder Woman get a serious treatment from Whedon, hopefully someone good will step up. Our female comic heroes are fewer and so precious!