Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Zito Introduced to San Francisco

Don't he just look so stylish in this picture? I'd been waiting to post about this until there was actually a picture of him in a San Francisco Giants hat. With a seemingly endless amount of criticism thrown in the direction of my home team, it is nice to have some ridiculously good news for a change. Needless to say, after hearing fans and sports writers alike complain that the team wasn't acquiring high-priced young talent, stepping up to sign the most coveted free agent - not to mention a 28-year old lefty with a Cy Young award under his belt and his best years ahead of him - is the kind of move that nicely says, "Shut up." I'd been relatively satisfied with many of the Giants offseason work (adding Dave Roberts, Rich Aurilla, Ryan Klesko, while resigning Pedro Feliz, Ray Durham and the elephant in the room known as Barry Bonds) but the team was really lacking a genuine spark. The Zito signing has me not only excited for next season, but for the future of my team, as well. Given that it's a seven year deal, I imagine Zito will be a big part of that future. Now I believe I heard before that Zito was a bit of a conservative - but, hey, this is baseball - the only medium where I allow myself to be a bit of a hypocrite.

No comments: