Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Bright Sunshine (MP3's) For a Winter's Day

Outside it's cold, rainy and the wind is blowing strong. On my iPod, however - I may as well be in Southern California on the first day of Spring. Why? Well I've got some sunshine pop for this winter's day to brighten the mood. 2006 was a year where we saw a bit of a pop resurgence, with catchy, hook and harmony heavy tunes from the likes of the Pipettes, the Little Ones, Irving, the Boy Least Likely To and several others. Let's hope this Pet Sounds wave continues well on to the new year, and here are three new songs to throw into your daily mix...

"Phantom Limb," the Shins (courtesy of Sub Pop)
Ok - so word on the street is that the new Shins album is really good. Members of the Pied Paupers and Irving both heard advanced copies and told me so, and I'm inclined to believe them. "Phantom Limb" is the first single.

"Face the Facts" (stream), the Little Ones
I was so excited when I saw this, checking the Little Ones' MP3 page. I first heard it when I filmed the guys during their Rickshaw Stop performance, and included it in their video podcast. Hopefully, it will appear on next year's full-length, coming out on Astralwerks.

"Heimdalsgate Like A Promethean Curse," Of Montreal
I've always been familiar with the work of Of Montreal, but never quite given it the listen it deserved. I'm really excited about their new record - Hissing Fauna Are You the Destroyer which you can STREAM IN ITS ENTIRETY. It all has a cool Revolver vibe mixed with some of that early Dandy Warhols' irnoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure like the Little Ones! Thanks for putting up this song. I hope we hear a lot more from this band in 07.

Anonymous said...

Having just left Southern Cali, in a hail storm, i'm now headed to a warmer climate on SW Ontario. But global warming doesn't exist.

I've heard the new Shins album...I've only listened once, but so far I like it. Thanks for those links!