If you watch VH1 at all - which I shamefully do - you'd know that Hinder are a band that "You Oughta Know." Why that is the case, I'm not quite sure. Maybe this song will explain it...
Ok, now, that didn't explain a damn thing. Maybe a recent Rolling Stone interview will help. When asked why they sell so well in middle America, singer Austin Winkler responded, "I would definitely agree as far as NY and LA with some of that artsy bullshit like OK GO, bands like that. I think they’re a bunch of fairies. I mean, they got on MTV , the VMA awards and they got on there and danced like a broadway show. That’s not fucking rock 'n roll, that’s not rock 'n roll at all." Now, when bands like Hinder say things like that's not "rock 'n roll," the "rock 'n roll" they refer to is not that of Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Bo Diddley or anyone who can lay claim to inventing the thing. Hell, they're not even referring to the Who and the Rolling Stones. They're referring to an attitude and style that was honed sometime in the eighties and continues to be embraced by the likes of Nickelback, Fuel and Avenged Sevenfold.
"We have good songs, I would say," Winkler continues. "Their songs suck, I mean what the fuck? They sold 4,000 albums a week and then that treadmill fairy shit comes on the fucking TV and they only sold 4,000 more records a week because the song sucks."
Wait! I've heard this kind of smack talk before. In a 2004 interview with MTV, Saliva frontman Josey Scott said of the Strokes and the Vines, "I don't think American kids are really into it. American kids wanna get in the mosh pit. They wanna get dirty. Chicks wanna show their tits. They wanna rock. They want something that kicks ass, and the Strokes and all that sh-- ain't gettin' it done. I'm not trying to cut them down, I'm just saying you gotta get the job done, man. When you walk onstage, you gotta get the job done. You gotta rock the fuckin' party, and they don't do it. They never have and they never will."
Writing about Scott reminds me of that classic collaboration he did with Nickelback's Chad Kroeger, entitled "Hero." The song's not too memorable but it is probably the ugliest rock duo in history.
Now, remember ... Saliva and Hinder are real rock and roll. Why? Because they're not fairies and make chicks want to show their tits. Sounds right to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
This tired homophobic and sexist garbage offends me but I think that the statements (a nation divided, red/blue, etc.) that the buying patterns are making is thought-provoking.
Well said! Sometimes asshole bands like that simply need to be ripped a new one and you just did so in fine style.
Post a Comment