Lukas Rossi: Simply put - I'm rooting for Lukas. Actually, I kind of have been from the beginning. That's probably because of the connection with our blog friends Jacquie and Dave - but I find him somewhat endearing. He was rather confident at first, but has seemed rather humbled by the whole experience. Things took an ugly turn when he forgot the words to "Celebrity Skin," but when challenged to sing Radiohead's "Creep," he brought the house down. It's actually not that hard to bring the house down on Rockstar but he still did a pretty good job. I was beginning to think that Lukas actually had no desire to be in the band and was instead intelligently using it as a launching pad for his own group. After seeing him front the band this week, however, I've reconsidered. My only thought is that the fact that he has actual frontman presence may work against him. Do the three "rock legends" (?) in Supernova really want some guy up there stealing the spotlight? Tommy Lee in particular?Toby Rand: The band really liked Toby's rendition of "Rebel Yell," but I thought it sounded like some straight up Vegas imitation. Toby is also really into the crowd interaction, which means half-way through each song he stops singing and thrusts the mic out to the crowd. At one point he pulled a number of young girls on stage to dance with him. When Tommy Lee quipped that they needed to get those girls back to the dressing room, Toby said, "I think we need to see some ID first." That was kinda funny. Still ... I don't think he stands a chance.
Storm Large: I actually think Storm's "the mole" sent to the house by the band to give them the scoop on what everyone's real intentions are.
Ryan Star: I was pleasantly surprised to see Ryan eliminated last week. I haven't been a fan of his "taking himself way too seriously" attitude, but the band seemed to really like it. Dave Navarro even nicknamed him "the Dark Horse." My main problem with Ryan is that he took the band's advice to seem more energetic way too far. Thus, he looked like a total bafoon jumping and screaming all the time. First, his performance of Coldplay's "Clocks" was so absurd...
... and then he followed that up with a dreadful take on "Baba O'Riley" in which he nearly hit the bass player with his swinging mic, took like five minutes to remove his jacket and spent more time screaming the words than actually singing them. Ryan also seems to have a problem with high notes and when he doesn't hit them, the results are rather painful.
Dilana: She was looking like a serious front-runner until she started bashing everyone in the else - some to the press and some to their face. Navarro was not too happy and she looked a bit uncomfortable upon critique. That being said, the band doesn't seem to care and - despite her first trip to the bottom three - I think it's really between her and Lukas.
Magni: Magni possesses the unique ability to water down and take the edge out of everything he sings. "Smells Like Teen Spirit" may as well be a Nickelback song the way he sang it. The worst, though had to be his Vegas-ed out take on David Bowie's "Starman." Maybe he heard a Barry Manilow version somewhere or something.


4 comments:
Yes, you're definitely a fan- face the facts, Will!
Sorry I am late to comment. Thanks for the nod! I was interested to hear your take and you are still an astute critic, your assessments are bang on even if you have not watched them all (there is a lot of dead time). Though I really liked Ryan though not for this band. Dave and I would see him solo.
Forget watching the web- just catch the performances with commentary from judges on our fave- you tube.
Agree here again Will...except that I do kinda like Ryan. He did look a little foolish spending 30+ seconds trying to climb on top of the speaker bins though. I think he would make a great solo singer sitting at a piano....leave the acrobatics for the rock & rollers.
I commented on the final episode without having visited your blog before....I wish I would've been here sooner. I love this program and think your reviews are bang on - and, yes, you are definitely a fan (who began as I did on the first episode, INXS - skeptical and sarcastically critical).
I also became endeared to Lukas rather quickly - he seems to "get" how to be in this spotlight without twisting himself into a "role" or trying too hard. He just comes across as humble and "himself" - not a guy trying to "prove" he's a rockstar, but, a guy who "is" a rockstar. Hey, I think I'll blog about it too. Thanks Will!
Post a Comment