Tuesday, August 22, 2006

My Weekend of Music and Technology + Podcast Reviews

A new issue of Wired arrived at our apartment this weekend, with a focus on how digital technology has ushered in "The Return of Music." Subjects include Beck (whose on the cover) and Pitchfork. The issue seemed rather fitting given how music and the digital age have become such an intricate part of my life. I'd just returned from attending some panels for the Bandwidth Conference - the latter of which was titled "Be Your Own Entertainment Mogul," a rather fitting title for what I hope to be. I've started to get rather series about all of this podcasting business, so I'm looking into redesigning my various sites and starting to promote the hell out of them. To everyone who has watched the episodes so far and posted kind comments, I cannot tell you how much that means to me. Downloads of each episode have been steadily going up, but the coolest part is being able to communicate with those of you who are watching it. I've been producing my own work for a few years now and prefer to be independent, which is why I found the whole video podcasting medium pretty exciting. In fact, this is quite possibly the most enthusiastic I've ever been about video. It's a big change, however, from obsessing for months over several hours of footage to cutting a minimal amount of footage together in a week.

Stepping away from my own work, I've really been enjoying my new video iPod, though I haven't found too many video podcasts. Locally, there's one called Pacific Noise which spotlights the local music and art scene, but generally speaking, I've had the most luck with MTV and Cartoon Network. KCRW also does a video podcast for their in-studio sessions. Other podcasts I've been checking out include:

Hope is Emo: Four episodes in, already one of the most popular video podcasts out there. Very funny, if a somewhat easy target, it plays like a solid SNL sketch.

The Bay Bridged: Audio podcast, also spotlighting the Bay Area music scene. Very informative interviews and some fantastic music.

The Rock and Roll Geek Show: I first got interested in this show after seeing its host - Michael Butler (who also plays bass in American Heartbreak) - lead the San Francisco Podcasting Meetup. It's a rather enjoyable show, and Michael's been doing some extra hilarious hour long Rockstar: Supernova recaps.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll bet that was a cool conference to attend. Were you part of a panel?
It's good to know that the Cartoon Network has video podcasts, because well, info like that is like gold.

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a really interesting conference. I subsribe to your podcast, but don't comment. I never know what to say, because they are all really good! And I'm not just saying that.
Thanks for the links to those other podcasts.

Anonymous said...

Barbara - sadly, I was not a part of the conference. Maybe someday, though.

Allison - It sure means a lot that you subscribe. Thanks. As for other podcasts, I may start posting reviews because I'm starting to get way into the medium.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to check out the Hope is Emo podcast thanks to your review. Again, thanks for the great information (as usual).

Anonymous said...

I left a comment to you on my own blog, but figured this would be a better way for you to catch it. In case you haven't heard of these guys
http://foureyedmonsters.com
They put together a really interesting podcast. The posts are about their trials of making their first feature film, good music too!

Anonymous said...

Your podcasts are great Will, keep 'em coming. Aside from introducing me to new music, which is obviously great, I think having an insight into the personalities behind the bands alters the way you approach listening to them. Which is brilliant! Long live Will's podcasts.

Anonymous said...

Hope you enjoy Hope is Emo, Phoenix ... it is funny.

Thanks, Allison, I will check it out for sure.

Thanks Kees, you are very kind.

Anonymous said...

I think you are right on point to succeed with independent music production and using the newer formats. Your care for your work comes through it and I know you will attain your future goals.
The new Wired sounds interesting, I will look for it.

Anonymous said...

I love the Hope is Emo casts. They're done by the Ask a Ninja guys, I believe, which if you haven't seen it, you must. Also, Strongbad has video podcasts of his emails. And there are some geeky vodcasts that are pretty good too. And TikiBar, to watch drunk people.