Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Gnarls Barkley Release New Video; Rock the Fillmore

Some have said that the Gnarls Barkley fad is over - however, the opportunity to see them in such an intimate setting as the Fillmore was one not to be missed. Needless to say, the trendiness of the event brought out a few too many Tooly McFoolys for my taste, but I was determined not to let that get me done. There was quite a bit of waiting to be done as - with no opening act - Cee-Lo, Danger Mouse, and co. took to the stage around 10:30, dressed in chef attire. A rousing cover of "Hungry Like the Wolf" kicked things off, and covers proved to be the most surprising events of the evening. With everyone and their mom - but not my mom - putting their own spin on "Crazy," it's only fitting that the Gnarls boys cover a few themselves. Of course, their version of "Gone Daddy Gone" is on the album and sounded great, but the real gem was a take of Holly Golightly's "There is an End." I didn't figure it out until about halfway through, but once I did - it was fucking cool. And for the originals - they sounded great too, save a few too many moments of feedback. Closing out the set with singles, "Smiley Faces" and "Crazy," it was hard not to get swept up in the moment. They returned for an encore which included a slow version of "Transformer."

Now, the fact that my bad directions almost got us into no less than three crashes (all avoided, thankfully) may have put a sour taste on things, but that badass free poster we got should even everything out. I know Charlie snapped some pictures with his mobile, so maybe we will see those later. Meanwhile, enjoy the new video...


::Previously::
1 Review: St. Elsewhere / Gnarls Barkley

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. I was debating whether to check them out in LA, but it sounds like a pretty fun time.

Anonymous said...

Whoa...that picture makes them look like they belong in that movie "Clockwork Orange."

Either that or derranged Oompa Loompas.

Anonymous said...

Is that the famous Fillmore? Cool.

Sounds like a fun night, despite the near death experiences. But no opener? 10:30 is a long time to be waiting, that's all I'm saying...

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised that "all of a sudden" people are up on Cee-Lo.
Does anyone remember a little OutKast side/group project called "DUGNEON FAMILY"!
And I loved the single "When I'm Grown", which was Cee-Lo solo.
I really like his voice. I just can't believe it took people this long to catch on.
Sarah

Anonymous said...

Good call on the Dungeon Family ... I'll have to post a video. And, yeah, Cee-Lo has been making great songs for a while - I'm glad to see people are finally starting to take notice.