It seems we've been talking about Franz Ferdinand a lot lately ... so why stop now. Last week on Rockstar: Supernova, Scott Stapp lookalike Chris Pierson took a stab at Franz's "Take Me Out" and the results were rather poor.
Not that I take his opinion all that seriously, but Dave Navarro made a good point, noting that Pierson lacked authenticity. Needless to say, Pierson's slaughtering of the song did not endear him to the home audience - who had found his performance the previous week poor as well. Not even a rendition of Tonic's "If You Could Only See" could save him when being judged by Supernova, and the singer was axed.
Now, writing about Rock Star: Supernova, I feel a personal conflict - do I merely try and I engage with the show as if I genuinely believe in these singers and the band one of them will front. Or do I take a critical approach and poke fun at the most blatant example of manufactured rock and roll. I think instead that I will find somewhat of a middle ground and take to skipping the performance episodes, while watching the recap/elimination episode the following night. That way I can miss a lot of the awkward banter between Brooke Burke and Dave Navarro. A new episode airs tonight.
::Related::
1 Reality Show Rock Stars - it's not all about the singing (Artifacts)
::Update::
Since writing this blog, I (and everyone else) have learned that Navarro and Carmen Electra are splitting up. I imagine that means we'll be hearing more comments like, "Brooke - that top you're wearing ... awe-inspiring."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Chris was horrific...he reminded me of David Brent (The Office UK) and how he sang "If You Don't Know Me By Now"...mind you, that was SUPPOSED to be horrible and funny.
That silly Celine Dion/Bjork wanna be Zayra needs to go...moreso than Chris needed to go I feel. I'm still cheering on Lukas since I knew the dude.
Ouch!
Great post, sorry I have not had as much computer access as usual and had not seen this til today.
How could I miss the Scott Stapp connection? Brilliant.
I agree with your views, re: how to write and review and also about Navarro and Burke. I was really rooting for those two crazy kids! (Dave and Carmen)
Post a Comment